Shiny Designs has moved!
Come on over to the new site and see what's new.
Shiny Designs...on the Brighter Side of Life.

Thursday, December 21, 2006

Girl's Sweater Update and FAST Christmas Gift

Well, it has become painfully obvious that I will not finish my goddaughter's sweater by Christmas. Thankfully, we have gotten her lots of other presents.

Here is a picture of it in progress - in all its edge rolling, yarn ends flapping, underarm gaping glory to document my progress, or lack of it.



When the yoke is deep enough, it will be time to sew and cut the front open. To document that thrill, there will be step by step photos. Then the borders and edgings can be worked to take care of that stockinette curl that develops at the edges.

On the design front, I can say that I've chosen the yarn for the flowers and will be swatching those soon. It is the next darker shade of Woolease-Dark Rose Heather. I found a couple balls of it in my stash.

To address the last minute, or at least last day, handmade Christmas gift, I give you Felted Potholders. These are fast to make and are quite nice to use. I have been kitchen testing a pair for myself and they work as well as any purchased potholder I have had. Here are the Cadet Blue potholders from my kitchen.



To make them, use 100% wool yarn that will felt - be sure it is not superwash wool. I used Lion Wool for this pair in Autumn Sunset. These happen to be crocheted, but you can knit them as well. They are about 8.5 inches square before felting. This photo is before felting.



To Crochet:

Chain 28, work a half double crochet in the 2nd chain from hook and each chain across, chain 2 and turn. Continue in half double crochet until potholder is square and end with chain 12 (for loop) and slip stitch in beginning of chain. End off and work in ends.

To Knit:

Cast on 32 stitches. Work in garter stitch until potholder is square, bind off. With last loop remaining, chain 12 (for loop) and slip stitch in beginning of chain. End off and work in ends.

To Felt:

Wash in washing machine with hot water and a towel for more agitation. Dry flat and adjust shape to square.

If you have a need for a useful handmade gift, give these a try!

No comments: