Shiny Designs has moved!
Come on over to the new site and see what's new.
Shiny Designs...on the Brighter Side of Life.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Painted Mini Garden Gnome

This little project was just for fun. My friend over at WhollyPiecemeal gave me this kit:


Notice you have to be over 3 years old and that it comes with three colors of paint and a plastic brush. Well, I'm over three so that's covered and the paint and the brush went straight to the trash.

I used 12 colors of acrylic craft paint plus mixtures and about 6 brushes to paint my little fellow (he's 3 inches tall) and this is how he turned out:

I like how he looks woodsy and his little (and I do mean little, as in small and difficult to paint) face has personality. Yes, there are tiny white highlights in his eyes!

What are you doing just for fun? Leave a comment and let me know.

3 comments:

Timaree said...

Sometimes a girl just has to have fun! Cute gnome. Now I would have taken it one step further and put a layer of bt. umber + glaze over him and then wiped it off for an antiqued gnome! I must say he is 100% better than the package version how you did him. Is he going to grow a pot of 4-leaf clovers or mushrooms?

Monette Satterfield said...

You're too funny! Thanks for looking - the package was just so scary bad I had to show it too :)

I thought about the whole antique glaze thing but didn't feel "messy" enough at the time.

I was thinking of putting a little air plant in his basket. They drop from the trees in my yard so I'll just go foraging for one.

Mike said...

Your blog has been recommended to us as a interviewee's favorite blog!
We would like to do an interview with you about your blog for Blog
Interviewer. We'd
like to give you the opportunity to
give us some insight on the "person behind the blog."
It would just take a few minutes of your time. The interview form can
be submitted online here Submit your interview.
Best regards,
Mike Thomas