Shiny Designs has moved!
Come on over to the new site and see what's new.
Shiny Designs...on the Brighter Side of Life.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Knitting in the Heat of October



In case you’re wondering if I'm knitting right now – of course I am! I’m just not talking about it much. Here’s the sleeve bottom of a cropped cardigan with three quarter length sleeves started almost a year ago. The yarn is Moda DEA 100% washable wool in a rich plum.

It may cool off enough here to wear this by sometime in November. The fabric is worked in a knit and seed rib of knit 5, seed 3 so it lays flat. I don’t really like ribbings on my sweaters so usually design for a self finishing edge. Here’s a peek at my design notes and sketches.


Apparently, I wrote one thing and did another for the sleeve cap shaping. When I worked the second sleeve by my notes, it didn’t correspond to the first sleeve cap shaping at all. That sleeve is fine and fits the arm opening perfectly. So, RIP the second one out and do it over. No matter, there’s plenty of time before sweater weather.

2 comments:

Timaree said...

This is looking really nice. I couldn't tell in the photo if this is one color or two. If you don't like ribbing, what do you do for a button band - or do you just skip buttons?

Shaped sleeve caps look nicer but it's easier to make drop shoulder. I always end up debating with myself which I want more - ease of making up or a nicer fit.

Monette Satterfield said...

Thanks! It's only one color, I scanned it and the scan went a little off.

The button band is garter stitch worked along with the fronts. I don't make buttonholes either - just work the buttons through the fabric and then stitch around the resulting opening for stability. It works for nearly every button
except gigantic ones.

You're right about the dropped shoulder it is easier. I like a raglan too, especially when the sweater is made one piece in the round. No Seams!